The fifth edition of TICAL, which will be held from July 6th to 8th of 2015, is seeking papers on the following themes.
ICT Solutions for Education: Learning Tools Based on Simulation, Collaborative environments, Virtual Labs, Management and Distribution of software specialized in supporting teaching, ICT Solutions for Implementing Mooc (Massive Open Online Courses), Technology in the Classroom, Integral Solutions of Video, the Impact of Mobility on Teaching, Institutional Social Networks.
ICT solutions to support Research: Scientific Visualization, Simulation Tools, Collaborative Environments of Research Support, Management and Distribution of Specialized Software, Development of Solution in HPC (High Performance Computing), Knowledge Management (repositories, digital magazines), Management of Science Data, Massive Data Storage Services, Cloud Services to Research Support, etc.
ICT Solutions for Management: Collaboration environments that enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the processes, Solutions that enable the integration of processes, Systems for the analysis of University Operational Management* (Business Intelligence, Analitycs, big data), Support to the Processes of Accreditation, Cloud-based Management Models.
* Applying the concept of "business" is not adequate to the most of the higher education institutions. However it is employed here because through it we popularly know this kind of solutions. In this context, the term "business" must be assimilated to the main goals of the universities, and not to a profit-centered concept.
ICT Solutions for Extension and Linking with the Environment: Continuous improvement projects, Technological University solutions to facilitate insertion of communities with special needs, ICT services extended beyond the campus, Participation of universities in smart cities projects, Environmental Sustainability, Energeticy, etc. Solutions for Events Management, Social Responsibility, Management of technological waste, the Role of IT in measuring University Trail Carbon.
ICT Governance and Management: Implementation of best management practices in ICT (Organizational Structure and HR Politics, Recruiting and Retaining Talent in Services, Calculation and Cost Services Management, Process Management, Monitoring and Metrics), Implementation of successful schemes of Project Management, Innovation Management, ICT Knowledge Management, Management of Data Centers, Definition and Implementation of ICT Strategy, Experiences that helped to improve the maturity of ICT Governance.
Infrastructure: Engineering and Network Management to support BYOD **, Impact of Mobility on Infrastructure and Services, Wireless Networks (internal and external WiFi Solutions), Infrastructure of PKI, Identity Solutions (single sing-on and mobility), Storage Solutions, Data Centers, Public or integrated to Infrastructure Clouds**, Innovative VOIP Solutions, IPv6 Implementation, High Performance Computing (HPC), Ecological Sustainability of IT (Green IT), Outsourcing Services, Infrastructure for Smart Campus.
** The concepts "cloud", mobile devices and "BYOD", and mobility, are related to infrastructure, but as far as they relate to others, is with these themes where they should be included.
Information Security: Solutions for Access Management, Implementation of International Standards, Implementation of Best Practices, Security Management and Data Management, Legal Aspects in ICT Delivery Service of the University and the Protection of Privacy, Service Availability and Providers Security Management, Cloud Services Security, Important aspects to consider for the Merge of Social Networks; Planning and Safety Management, Safeguarding Digitized Information Intellectual Property.
For each one of the papers selected by the Programme Committee for its presentation at TICAL2015, and to ensure that presentation, the organizers will bear the cost of airline tickets (round trip to Chile) to one of the authors of each paper.
It is expected that the papers presented in each thematic area are centered on ICT and on how its use or incorporation helps to solve the problems that the region's universities are facing. In the selection of the papers, some concepts are particularly privileged. They are:
- Experiences: the submitted works must have a strong focus on experiences, since TICAL is a Conference for sharing this kind of matters. There is no interest in scientific or merely academic papers.
- Projects or services: TICAL seeks papers that describe executed projects or implemented services, not just ideas or proposals that have not yet left the drawing board.
- Focus on ICT: TICAL gathers those responsible for ICT in Latin American universities. Hence, the Conference is looking for papers whit focus in this area.
- Impact on university strategy: It’s considered a very significant value the description, in case that is its approach, of the impact of a technology solution on the strategy of the university.
- Classification by thematic area: Authors should indicate the main axis on which are presenting their work. Is possible to choose a secondary axis in the case that the job includes more than one.